Monday, 2 September 2013

Arrival - Part 2

Arrival continued ...

I haven't had much experience outside the comfort of my spacious apartment and the school, apart from the view from our school bus that takes us to and from school everyday.

The poverty here is amazing, and there has been a couple of times where I haven't been able to laugh along with other teachers in the bus, since my eye has caught a glimpse of some sad situation.  In saying that the desire to learn Bangla is fast coming upon me.  I cannot wait until I can take a rickshaw on my own and am able to know which direction I am heading or able to say left and right to the driver (walla).

I have, however, visited a church, again in the comfort of our private bus, and have meet some other Christians, predominantly missionaries and expat Christians.  Church is on a Friday here, which I like as you can just blob for the day, then when you are refreshed you have another day to do whatever you want.   It sort of feels like a long weekend, potentially for every weekend.  This does mean that you start school on a Sunday,  which I still can't quite get my head around when giving assignment due dates to the students, the days are a bit confusing then. 

Last Saturday I did venture out, with a few of the girls to one of the big markets, where I chose and bought material, this was a bit overwhelming at first, with the variety of pattern I could choose from. Once bought, we tottled over to the tailor and showed him a picture of what we wanted, he measured us and took our material to make the outfit, a Salwer Kameez (google it).  I'll take photos when I first try it on.

Talking of photos, here are some photos of my apartment, I'm sure you would love to see where I live ... and no I don't live in a thatched roof shack in the middle of nowhere, I do, however, have an apartment that is fully functional.

Below is my beautiful room, complete with air conditioning.  I think one of my next purchases will be a new bed cover.




 

 
 
 
 
 
 
My flat mate and I spent the evening rearranging the dinning table and furniture and found that the fridge, that cannot fit in the kitchen fits snuggly next to the wall unit in the little indent in our dinning area. 




 The kitchen with the door that leads to another door that leads to nothing.


Our Lounge. It's really cozy, I have spent many time just reading my books and looking out the window at the thunderstorms and not to mention the interesting characters that live across the street.





The View from our Balcony. I think it's ready for a good, but very small bbq.


 











Thank you for reading my blog.

I really should designate a time, other than school work time, to really upload posts. Until then, cioa for now.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment